Monday, October 03, 2005

Phooey on Moth and Rust!

I sat in my Lazy Boy this evening, folding a mound of clothes, watching the Packers lose again while my wife lays on the couch nearby feeling the discomforts of being 8 months pregnant. Folding clothes is the least I can do for her in the state she is in. She finally makes her way to our bedroom which is across the hall while my 3 year old daughter, Anna, makes her way quietly down to the TV room to see what Daddy is doing. I warn her to whisper because if mom catches her up she might get in trouble. She sits on my lap and watches with me as the Packers actually do lose even after a phenomimal 4th quarter. My daughter tenderly plays with the buttons of my shirt and I realize, in a forlorn way, that nothing on this earth is forever.
Oh, I've known that for a long time. Nothing real profound there. I was taught it in Sunday School when I was a wee Hoff. I was warned not to invest in too many things where "moth and rust" might destroy. But there are moments when it hauntingly becomes a reality.
My favorite quarterback, that I have watched play football for almost 14 years, will now probably hang it up this next year minus the flames of glory from a winning season. (However if he continues to play like he did in the the last 7 minutes tonight, who knows.)
I see the big brown eyes of the little girl on my lap and I see no wrinkles. But someday, she too will grow old and begin to age. She might experience heart break and sadness. She might have times of feeling alone..and I will not be there to help her.

You're probably thinking, "Dude, take your medication." No, I'm allright and I don't mean to depress anyone. It's these moments that I am forced to put things into perspective. There is only one constant and that is God and I have to stay in tune with Him. That is my greatest hope on this green and blue ball hanging out in the middle of nowhere. Things are only new for a while here but someday I am going to live in a place where nothing will grow old or decay and where I will never be lonely.
For those of you that read this blog and pray, please pray for my wife as she delivers Hoffland #4. Her pregnancy experiences thus far have all had their challenges. We are thankful for the little ones God has given us. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger doodlebugmom said...

While searching blog-land, I came across your blog.

Good luck with Hoffland #4!

(I am a Hoffland too)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home